LIEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program)
Supplemental heating assistance benefit for a household's primary source of heat for low-income households.  LIEAP is household benefit.  (Household= persons who live at the address and share a heat source) Therefore, all persons living in the home must be included on the application regardless of relationship.

**********************LIEAP APPLICATION INFORMATION*******************
Submit completed application to HRC at 1801 South Higgins, Missoula, MT 59801 between 10/1 - 4/30.

  • To print an application, click here, or visit the State of MT DPHHS website for additional information, including income limits.
  • To complete a fillable pdf click here.  Please note, you still need to print and submit your application to the Missoula office.
  • Call (406) 728-3710 to be mailed an application.
  • Applications also available to walk-ins at all HRC offices.
  • Households whose heat is part of the rent and their rent is subsidized, may qualify for a 5 year benefit and food stamp (SNAP) increase (you must prove your LIEAP eligibility to your SNAP caseworker).

Benefit is determined by the type of fuel, type of dwelling, number of persons living in the home and the amount of gross income earned by all persons living in the home regardless of relationship.

Household income limits are based on federal poverty guidelines. Benefit checks are issued to your fuel vendor by the State of Montana unless you heat with wood, your utilities are part of your rent or you are being reimbursed for fuel purchases. In those conditions, a check will come to you from HRC.

Documentation required includes photocopies of:

  • Identification proving citizenship (social security card, birth certificate or legal entry as a permanent resident) for all persons living at this address.
  • Photo ID for everyone living at the address.
  • Copies of most recent home energy bill(s) showing name, current service address and account numbers for all fuel types.
  • Proof of all gross income for all persons now living in the home for a 6-month period ending with the last day of the month before you apply.
  • Proof of the value of resources and business equity, including complete bank account statements.
  • Proof of all out of pocket health insurance premiums paid by a household member for a household member.
  • Households whose rent is included in their rent will have to provide paid rent receipts and a statement from your landlord.

If the home's heating fuel account is in the name of someone who doesn't live in the household, payment cannot be made directly to that account. The household will have to pay for their energy use and be reimbursed after proof of payment has been submitted to LIEAP.

Some vendors offer discounts to LIEAP eligible households.

  • Northwestern Energy (NWE) gives a year round discount to their gas and electric customers.
  • Missoula Water gives a monthly credit to LIEAP eligible household with an account in their name.  You must complete the request form and submit to LIEAP as well as a copy of your bill showing the account.  LIEAP will in turn, inform Missoula Water of your eligibility.
  • Missoula Electric Co-op gives a discount to their customers who heat with electricity, from the date of LIEAP eligibility until the end of each program year.

LIHEAP clearing house at the National Center for Appropriate Technology

The Human Resource Council can help LIEAP eligible homeowners deal with emergencies related to their heating source and/or possibly their hot water heater.  Please contact us immediately if you have a home heating emergency.

Check your NorthWestern Energy account here.

Contact Human Resource Council's Missoula office for additional information.


Energy Share of Montana is a statewide private non-profit corporation. Application for assistance and intake in Mineral, Missoula and Ravalli Counties is through the Human Resource Council. Energy Share accesses various sources of funds and most of them do not have an income cap.

Energy Share helps households facing an immediate energy emergency when they have exhausted all other resources. Energy Share can help households who have used up their energy assistance benefit or do not qualify for LIEAP. Energy Share can also help with some furnace emergencies and refrigerator replacement, if the situation meets certain guidelines. A local committee meets regularly to decide on a case-by-case basis whether to recommend assistance, the amount of assistance and any co-payment required.

Energy Share is a revolving loan pool. Households have an eligibility of up to $700 within a 10 year period. If repayment of all or a portion of the prior assistance is made, additional awards may be made totaling the amount of repayment.  The program is active in all three counties.  Call our Missoula office at (406) 728-3710 to find out if you are eligible to apply and when the local committee will meet again.

Contact Human Resource Council's Missoula office for additional information, or visit the State Office of Energy Share of Montana.


Go to top